Dance is about sharing emotions and experiences, as well as technique, to collaborate and create something meaningful. Bom Funk has a fabulous team of experienced and trained teachers with a wealth of dance and performance knowledge. These teachers encourage the love of dance and create opportunities for those who share this passion. The skills a child gains from the art of Dance extend far beyond the classroom; increasing confidence, discipline, commitment, determination, flexibility, focus and leadership.
Bom Funk offers fun classes and performing opportunities to everyone from 18 month olds through to adults, males and females, beginners to advanced levels. Dance classes are an exciting and social way to exercise, physically and mentally. Bom Funk classes encourage individuality and creative expression along with current industry trends and dance moves.
Classes are located at our beautiful purpose-built studios in Jerrabomberra, NSW. These two studios have ducted heating/cooling with full mirrors, barres and sprung, polished wooden dance flooring. There is a waiting room for students and parents, a kitchenette, uniform shop 'Bom Funk Boutique,' bathrooms and disabled access.
Bom Funk Dance Studio was established in 2005. In 2014 new management began, under the direction of current Director/Principal, Kym Degenhart. Kym has combined her years of International Professional Dance & Teaching experience, along with her dedicated team's extensive know-how, to quickly establish one of the leading Performance-based Dance Studios in Canberra & Queanbeyan.
Passion, Pride, Professionalism
At Bom Funk our teachers and staff are passionate about DANCE – we LOVE what we do! Our Bom Funk faculty loves encouraging all of our students to find what it is about dance that brings them joy also.
At Bom Funk we are proud of who we are, what we present and the difference we can make in ourselves and our community.
At Bom Funk we are committed and professional. Our Bom Funk faculty continually train and attend professional development opportunities to maintain high, current industry standards. Our Bom Funk students learn professionalism when they perform and compete so as to represent themselves, the studio and community to the highest degree.
At Bom Funk we are a small community with family spirit and values. We support each other and nurture every member of the community, no matter what their background, ability or physical attributes entail. We respect each other and treat others with respect.
We take pride in our local community and where we come from: Jerrabomberra, Queanbeyan & Canberra, Australia!
Creativity & Growth
At Bom Funk we encourage creativity. Our teachers and students are given the freedom to create choreography that allows for individual expression. They explore movement that is unique to each dancer and allow for artistry and artistic development.
At Bom Funk we continually grow and learn from each opportunity. Dancers are appropriately challenged and encouraged so as to reach their true potential.
2017 studio achievements
- Top 25 Most Popular Kids Activities for 2016 Award ranking #5 Most Popular Kids Activity in the Capital Monaro & Snowy Mountains Region
- Teachers attended Ausdance ACT ‘Move up’ Workshops for Professional Development
- Held our first Summer School Dance Program in January
- Joel Rasmussen & Dylan Mahoney Workshops & Crew Intensive
- Won Raiders Dance Competition - performance at first home game for the season
- Ben Burgess (Tap Kix) won a Canberra Area Theatre (CAT) Award for Best Youth Actor in a Featured Role in a Play
- Tap Kix received grant to create 'Tap Kix Street Beats' & perform at Shake It Up: Art not Apart in New Acton
- Squad performance at Relay for Life, Queanbeyan
- Jacob Brown - chosen as 1 of 7 youth dancers to receive mentoring & create a piece for Escalate program run by Ausdance ACT
- Past student, Siobhna McCullagh accepted contract with Celebrity Cruises and will be off to Miami in March to start rehearsals. Until then, she has returned to Bom Funk to train.
- Riverside Dance Festival - All soloists placed in all routines - Jacob Brown, 1st Tap & 3rd Hip Hop. Emily Bell, 2nd Broadway Jazz, 3rd Lyrical & Contemporary.
- Dancelife Unite Online solo heats - Emily Bell, 1st Entertainment & Ballet, 2nd Lyrical, 3rd Contemporary.
- Kurt Phelan Junior & Senior Troupes intensive weekend.
- Kurt Phelan Diamonds Troupe holiday intensive.
2016 studio achievements
- Studio Values established: Passion, Pride, Professionalism/Community Spirit/Creativity & Growth
- New Bom Funk uniform!!
- New lockers for students
- Bloch VIP Privilege cards partnership
- Teachers attended Ausdance ACT ‘Move up’ Workshops for Professional Development
- New Bom Funk Birthday parties!
- Stephen Tannos, Joel Rasmussen & Jesse Rasmussen Workshops & Troupe weekend
- The Canberra Area Theatre (CAT) Awards finalists Jacob Brown & Grace Forbes attend Gala Night with Miss Kym for their nomination as 'Best Dance Performance by an Individual or Ensemble' for with their tap duo, 'First Date!'
- ‘5678’ In-School Dance program launched – Teachers worked at Calwell High School, Namadgi School & Hawker College
- ACT Education Directorate's Arts Upfront Conference @ Llewellyn Hall -Miss Kym & J4 Crew conducted a Tap & JFH workshop with emphasise on encouraging boys to dance
- Free Fitness class established for Crew/Troupe students to improve health, stamina, strength & overall fitness
- Bom Funk Awarded Top 25 Most Popular Kids Activity in the Capital, Monaro & Snowy Mountain Region On Active Activities
- Elite International Competition - Lyrical Open, 2nd with all students awarded future star certificates. Bom Squad 5th Young Guns. JSide 3rd, Varsity. AMC 2nd, Monster Crew
- Hong Kong Tour Fundraising Show & Silent Auction
- Riverside Competition – Emily Bell, 3rd Broadway Jazz
- Media recognition on Win news & The Qbn Age
- J Squad Australia’s Hong Kong Dance Tour!! Performances at Hong Kong Disneyland, Ocean Park & Stanley Markets, Flash mob on Victoria Harbour. VIP Backstage tour of House of Dancing Water, Macau.
- 2x Dance Week performances at National Portrait Gallery for Ausdance ACT Dance Week celebrations
- Dancelife Unite Solo compeition: Emily Bell 1st, 2nd,3rd & Highly Commended
- Media recognition for Dance Week in The Qbn Age
- Miss Kym teaches Cabaret Workshop @ Hawker College
- Natasha Silver hired as Face painter for “Talk about Hot” - short dance film
- Cowra Eisteddfod: Emily Bell, 1st Broadway, Highly Commended Contemporary & Lyrical solos
- J Squad Celebration Dinner
- ‘Joy’ Fundraiser performance –J4 crew
- Australian Dance Crew Championships - Jside, Bom squad, 3rd Young Guns.
- Canberra Dance Festival - Sharni Petty, Highly Commended Tap solo, Izzy Grame & Josh Mangeruca Highly Commended Hip Hop duo
- ‘Connect’ Sydney - Miss Kym spoke at the Teacher/Studio Owner Conference & J4 Crew performed as special guests
- Midyear Showcase – ‘All You Can Eat’
- J4 Crew taught 5hr intensive workshop for ACT Education Directorate's Step into the Limelight Urban Boys Dance Project
- Dancelife Unite Competition - 3rd 12yrs/u Jazz Torupe. 1st, 3rd, 4th 14yrs/u Hip Hop Crews. 4th 14yrs/u Contemporary Troupe. 3rd 14yrs/u Jazz Troupe. 2nd, 4th Open Contemporary Troupes. 3rd Open Lyrical Troupe. 1st, 2nd Open Hip Hop Crews. 1st,3rd Open Small Troupe Jazz/Hip Hop. 2nd 16yr/u Small Troupe Jazz/Hip Hop. Highly Commended x2 Open Jazz Troupes + Bom Funk won the Social Media award & Best Choreography Award for J4 Crew's routine!!!! All qualified for Nationals
- Battlegrounds – JSide, 4th Varsity. AMC, 4th Monster Crew. Bom Squad- Most Popular Dance Crew
- Teachers & students involved in a number of YouTube Concept Videos
- New style - Irish funk
- Past Student Siobhan McCullagh makes top 20 in Moulin Rouge auditions
- Follow your dreams Competition in Bateman’s Bay - Studio Spirit Award. J4 Crew, 1st Open Hip Hop. J4 Crew highest Troupe/Crew points of the competition. Emily Bell, 1st Student Chorey, 2nd Classical solo, 3rd Championship, 3rd Broadway jazz. Izzy Grame 1st Tap solo & 1st Hiphop solo, Izzy Grame & Josh Mnageruca 1st Hip hop duo. 2nd Open Contemporary Troupe, 2nd Open Jazz Troupe, 2nd Open Musical Theatre Troupe, 3rd JSide Open Hip Hop, Honorable Mentions (HC) for Bom Squad Hip Hop Crew, HC 13/u Contemporary Troupe & HC Open lyrical Troupe.
- Past student/teacher, Maddeline Knowles workshops
- Nyah Croke featured singer in Southern Stars Arena Spectacular
- Variety bash Dinner Performance @Hellenic club - Variety Children's Charity
- Past student Siobhan McCullagh performed in Hairspray Sydney as a featured dancer
- ACT Education Directorate's Step into the Limelight - Tap Kix invited guest performance & J4 Crew/J4 Junior performance as part of Urban Boys Dance Project
- Step into the Limelight – Savannah Nasr volunteered to assist choreography, rehearsals & event day for Namadgi school
- Ray White Real Estate Heart Foundation Fundraiser @Hellenic club – High Kix Cabaret
- Stomp Latin Fundraiser @ Albert Hall – High Kix Cabaret
- Showcase Competition - Emily Bell, 1st Classical, 2nd Broadway Jazz, Showcase Title Runner up, 4th overall, Best costume Award. JPod 1st, Gems 1st Jpod - International Dance Teachers Association diamond for the overall Most Entertaining Group. Dollhouse, 2nd place. House Rising Sun 2nd place. J4 Junior, 2nd place. Too Darn Hot, 1st place & Awarded Most Professional & Stylish Group overall. Bom Squad, 2nd place. JSide Jnr, 3rd place. Candyman, 1st place. Raven, 2nd place. Mary Poppins, 1st place. Burn it up, 2nd place. J4 Crew, 1st place. JSide, 2nd place. JCrew, 3rd place.
- Ausdance Youth Dancefest – Savannah Nasr , Anitra Harris & Laura Rose volunteered to assist choreography, rehearsals & event day for Namadgi school
- Australian Dance Festival – Savannah Nasr represented Bom Funk with a free pass won by J4 Crew
- Floriade performance
- Dancelife Unite Nationals, Sydney- Emily Bell, 1st Classical solo, 4th Jazz & Highly Commended Lyrical & Contemporary solos. J4 Crew 2nd place, Small Troupe Open Jazz/Hip Hop.
- Brindabella Dance Festival - Jacob Brown, 3rd Student Chorey. Emily Bell & Hannah Kilpatrick soloists. Sharni Petty Highly Commended Tap solo.
- New Syllabus - Tap Attack Oz
- Largest pointe class in Bom Funk history with 9 students now on pointe!
- KAR - Judge's Choice Awards -Bom Squad, 'Swag of the day.' Footloose, 'Fierce & Fabulous.' J4 Crew, 'Most Swag.' Overall places (across all styles) - 1st 11-14yrs Rising Stars age group, 1st Open Rising Stars age group, 2nd 15yrs+ Rising Stars age group, 3rd 11-15yrs Rising Stars group, 3rd 15yrs+ Rising Stars age group, 4th Superline, 8th 15yrs+ Rising Stars age group, 9th 11-14yrs Rising Stars age group. J4 Crew 3rd Overall in All-styles Senior Elite Age category. Elite 1st places x4, Top 1st places x6, 1st placse x6. JSide Jnr, Dollhouse & J4 Crew invited to Hollywood Dance Experience. J4 Junior & Le Jazz Hot invited to New York city dance experience.
- Kurt Phelan, star of Dirty Dancing, Musical Theatre workshops
- Kurt Phelan Cabaret show Bom Funk outing
- Roar skills Competition – JSide, 3rd Kings division
- Jerrabomberra Public School fete performances x2
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF)One Walk performance
- Crew class with Brooke Downie from Ministry of Dance, Melbourne
- Namadgi School fete performance
- Miss Kym teaches Ausndace Professional Class – Cabaret
- Miss Kym Ausdance Board member 2016
- Bom Funk End-of-Year Showcases – 1st time we have had 2 shows with a Tots & Troupe morning show & Main evening show, ‘Moved by the Movies.’
- J4 Crew Wedding performance in Sydney including rehearsals for surprise appearance from the Groom & Groomsmen!
- J4 Crew performance at Hyatt Hotel's Annual Associate Party
- Jacob Brown - 2017 Esculate Program - offered by Ausdance ACT
2015 Studio Achievements
- Bom Funk expansion! Studio 2, Parent & Student waiting rooms, costume storeroom & Staff office!
- 104.7 Skyfire's Got Talent Top 5 finalists: High Kix Cabaret & J4 Crew (both crews interviewed live on the radio!)
- 104.7 Skyfire's Got Talent 2nd place (only 0.5 points off 1st): High Kix Cabaret
- Miss Ella & Miss Kym were guest teachers for contemporary, ballet, jazz & Musical theatre workshops at the Cali ACT coaches development weekend
- Hip Hop International - J4 Crew, 4th place Varsity division & Best Musical Arragement award. Side Kix Crew, 4th place Open division & Best Musical Arrangement award.
- Billy Blacka awarded Most Inspiring Dancer, Open division, Hip Hop International
- High Kix Cabaret & J4 Crew special guest performers for Ausdance Director, Neil Roach's Farewell
- Peter & Maya from SideKix Crew performed at Lao New Year celebrations
- Ben Burgess performed in FreeRain Theatre Company's production of Mary Poppins
- Riverside Dance Festival - J4 Crew, 1st Place Open Hip Hop. J Crew, 3rd Place Open Hip Hop (first comp ever!). JKix, 3rd place 14/u Hip Hop. Bom Squad 14/u Hip Hop first comp ever!
- Riverside Dance Festival - Tess Trainor, 2nd place Lyrical Solo
- J Crew, J4 Crew & JKix Crew performance at National Youth Week, Woden Westfield Beatz.
- Radford College Holiday Program Workshop & performance with J4 Crew, Miss Grace & Miss Kym
- Dance for Olivia fundraiser – organised by Tess Trainor, JSide performance
- Participants at Ausdance launch of Dance Week & International Dance Day - making the Canberra Times & ABC News!
- Sydney Dance Company workshop
- J4 Crew invited to become RAW artists: Performance at Belconnen Arts Centre for 'Sensory'
- J4 Crew invited as special guests to perform at Calwell High School Dance Showcase
- Canberra Dance Festival - 10 Crews competed, many for the first time. J4 Crew receiving 99/100 for Open Hip Hop!
- Australian Dance Crew Championships - J4 Crew receiving a wild card entry to Nationals. J Crew, Bom Squad, JKix also competed and NRJ showcased for the first time!!
- Bom Funk mid-year Showcase: 'Seasons'
- Miss Kym attended a 10 year reunion at Moulin Rouge, Paris!
- World Supremacy Battlegrounds - Assemble Monster Crew, 2nd place Monster Crew division. Bom Squad, 2nd place Young Guns division. JCrew, 5th place Varsity division. Jaiden (10yrs) wins Canberra vs Sydney open battle! JKix showcased.
- Miss Kym cast as an extra in Fox8 mini series, 'Secret City' (to air March 2016)
- Bom Funk students audition for The Wiggles
- J4 Crew personally invited by Australia's Got Talent Producer to audition for 2016 show
- Tap Kix & J4 Crew perform at Step into the Limelight at AIS Arena
- Emily Bell recevied gold for Broadway jazz, Classical & Lyrical at Showcase
- Floriade performance
- J4 Crew perform as part of Ausdance Youth Dance Festival
- Brindabella Dance Festival - J4 Crew, 2nd Place Open Hip Hop. Bom Squad, 3rd Place 14/U Hip Hop. J4 Jnr, Highly Commended 14/U Hip Hop
- Izzy Grame attend Australian Tap Festival, Melbourne
- J4 perform at 2 wedding receptions
- J Squad start rehearsals for Hong Kong tour, 2016
- Tess Trainor (16yrs) creates her own show, 'Youth" - High Kix & Tap Kix perform as special guests.
- Queanbeyan West Public School fete performance
- Calwell H.S Arts Extravaganza – Tap Kix & J4 Crew as special guests
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF)'Twilight Run' entertainment on Lake Burley Griffin
- J4 Crew wildcard entry into Australian Dance Crew Championships National Finals
- Tess Trainor accepted into Ev & Bow Fulltime course for 2016 at 16yrs old!
- Radford College Holiday Program Workshop & performance with J4 Crew, Miss Grace, Miss Natasha & Miss Kym
- Namadgi School Dance workshop
- Far Far Away: End-of-year Showcase 2015!
- Graduate, Siobhan McCullagh accepted into 2nd Year studies at Ev & Bow for 2016
- Graduate, Madelane Knowles accepted into 2nd Year studies at Brent Street for 2016
- Tap Kix members Jacob Brown & Grace Forbes nominated 'Best Dance Performance by an Individual or Ensemble' for The Canberra Area Theatre (CAT) Awards with their tap duo, 'First Date!'
2014 Studio Achievements
- The Gauntlet – workshops & Show
- SYTYCD competition – footage of Bom Funk played on Network Ten
- Bounce Music Festival – J-side & J4 Crews
- Sydney Dance Company workshop
- Project Element workshops (Patrick Chen & Jun Quemado)
- Holly Hedrick workshops
- Susanna DeFraia (Cirque du Soleil) workshop
- Phly Crew X Team Rockit workshops
- Dance week Performance– Belconnen Food Markets
- Crew photo day – National Museum of Australia
- Calwell car boot sale – J4 Crew
- Calwell H.S Dance Showcase - as special guests
- Canberra Dance Festival - J4 Crew, 1st place
- Established Bom Funk Mega Crew – Phly Crew all day intensive
- Australian Dance Crew Championships – J4 Crew, 3rd place; Bom Funk Mega Crew, showcased
- Bom Funk Mid-year Showcase
- Joel Rasmussen & Sam Malseed workshops
- Rhiannon Davies (Austinmer Dance Theatre) workshops
- Siobhan McCullagh auditioned for the Moulin Rouge
- Students Ben Burgess, Siobhan McCullagh, Emily Bell & David Santolin performed in QL2’s Boundless Bom Funk Dance Studio received Queanbeyan
- Queanbeyan Business of the Year nomination
- Established J Squad & Bom Funk fundraising committee in preparation for our Hong Kong tour
- Battlegrounds Hip Hop Competition- Bom Funk Mega Crew, 1st place + Most Popular Dance Crew & Best Musical Arrangement. J4 Crew, Most Stylish Dance Crew & Future Star awards; J-Side, Most Promising Dance CrewJesse Rassmusen workshops
- Raiders football game – Half time entertainment
- Ausdance Youth Dance Festival media launch with Joy Burch– J4 Crew
- Floriade Performance
- Brindabella Dance Festival - J4 Crew, 1st place in Open Hip Hop, Bom Funk Mega Crew, Highly Commended; JKix Crew (first comp ever!), Highly Commended in 14yrs/U Hip Hop; Tess Trainor 4th place in Hip Hop Impro, Highly Commendeds in Student Chorey & Emily Bell, Highly Commended in Student Chorey.
- Madelane Knowles accepted into 3 full time training schools for 2015– she chose to study at Ev & Bow, Sydney in 2015!
- Siobhan McCullagh accepted into The Village, Sydney for 2015!
- Teacher, David Santolin performed in La Cage aux Follies for Canberra Repertory Society
- Teacher, Grace Cox awarded ACT Langdon Award for Young Coach of the Year (Calisthenics)
- Teacher, Will Tran attended Urban Dance Camp with Team Rockit and then toured Europe teaching workshops in Term 3
- Living Green Festival performance
- Jerrabomberra Primary School fete peformances– 2 shows
- Queanbeyan Rotary Club vocational visit
- Siobhan McCullagh performed in Hot to Trot with QL2
- Ben Burgess started rehearsals for Mary Poppins with Free Rain Theatre (2015)
- Dance for Olivia fundraiser – Jside & J4 Crews performed & Tess Trainor organised the whole event!
- Calwell H.S Arts Extravaganza – J4 Crew as special guests
- Queanbeyan West Public School fete performance
- Professional photo fundraiser, sausage sizzles, show canteen, show raffle & Cadbury fundraising for Hong Kong tour
- Carly Wilson accepted into Internship with Harvest Rain Theatre Company, Brisbane for 2015!
- Dancing for Jane Fundraiser Workshops – Bom Funk donated the studio for this fundraising event
- Queanbeyan West Public School Presentation Day performance
- Rock to Rockettes: End-of-year Showcase 2014!